Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

Walking 60km + per week

This section of the forum is for members to keep blogs-journals on
any general topics of interest to them. eg. art, movies, sport, fitness etc.

Re: Walking 60km + per week

Postby Darren » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:29 pm

OK, this begins week 13, the final week :D

Today (Sunday) 10km
Darren

Postby HILTS3188 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:24 pm

GO ON DARREN FINISH IN A FLOURISH :banana:

-----------------------------------------
"TO PART IS TO DIE A LITTLE"----"THINK OF STEVE TODAY"
HILTS3188

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Monday 10km, Tuesday 16km, Today (Wednesday) 9km.

Also did 9 rounds on the boxing bag today (31min workout).
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Thursday 16km, Today (Friday) 12km
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Today (Saturday) 12km

HILTS3188 wrote:GO ON DARREN FINISH IN A FLOURISH :banana:

OK Tony, you inspired me to put in an extra bit of effort for my final week :D

Total for week 13: 85km

Well that finishes my 60km+ per week journal. I did 6 weeks on, one week off then another 6 weeks on. Did I meet my expectations.....? (desired weight loss) No. Am I disappointed? No, because I have learnt a few basics about the way my body functions (probably already knew a few of them but had forgotten them). So here it is as I see it....

I think I said at the start of this journal that I don't like to diet, and feel we are better to burn excess fat through activity rather than cutting calories. Well I still stand by that, but.... I have my weaknesses (mainly a variety of chocolate sweets and the occasional pizza). So I really needed to burn a bit more than average because of this, but I didn't. So the question is why did I fail? After all 60km+ walking is a lot of exercise right?

Well no it isn't really, not for me. The reason is I am a natural walker (if I wasn't on this program I would probably still walk approx 6km most days for fun and leisure, which is up to 42km per week). My legs are long and muscular and it was really not much of a "physical" challenge doing what I did. Of course it was excellent exercise, but even at the end of say a long 18km walk I am not even sweating. So I feel that for me walking is only ever (unless I do significantly higher distances) going to be a mild form of exercise. As it is 60km+ per week was very time consuming, so doing even more km is not practical. It wasn't the physicality that challenged me on most occasions, but the discipline to overcome the boredom of the long km's.

The answer to this dilemma...? Another form of exercise that I enjoy doing is working out on the boxing bag. In 30 minutes on the boxing bag I am pushing my body harder than I am in 3 hrs of walking (even brisk walking). But I have never done this any more than a few times a week. So, my new plan, or "next phase", is to step back my walking to "leisure" levels, and to work out on the boxing bag at least 6 days a week. The boxing bag ritual is 9 3 minute rounds with 30 second breaks between rounds. I expect to see far greater results on this program than I have seen on my walking program.

So my new routine will involve daily walks (probably 4 to 6km and varying in intensity - some hilly some flat), daily bag workouts (or at least 6 days a week), and regular weight training (medium weights with high repetitions).

So was my walking plan a failure? No. Although I didn't lose all the fat I had hoped to lose, I am still fitter because of it. It has helped me get leaner than I was, and helped improve my cardiovascular fitness. It has also helped prep me for the "next phase"... So if you enjoyed the light diversion this blog provided, stay tuned for more soon :lol:
Darren

Postby HILTS3188 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:39 pm

regular weight training (medium weights with high repetitions).

THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO FAT BURN WITHOUT BULKING UP (ACCORDING TO ONE OF MY MATES)...

CANT WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT THE NEXT PHASE OF YOUR TRAINING DARREN 8) ...KEEP GOING :y:

-----------------------------------------
"TO PART IS TO DIE A LITTLE"----"THINK OF STEVE TODAY"
HILTS3188

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:30 am

HILTS3188 wrote:CANT WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT THE NEXT PHASE OF YOUR TRAINING DARREN 8) ...KEEP GOING :y:

Thanks Tony, it's all in this thread from now on: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1181
Darren

Previous

Return to Blogs-Journals