Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

Retail challenge

This section of the forum is for members to keep blogs-journals on
any general topics of interest to them. eg. art, movies, sport, fitness etc.

Re: Retail challenge

Postby HILTS3188 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:02 am

A little chocolate shouldn't hurt, Donna. I think you deserve it, and if you had to cut it out, that would be cruel and unusual punishment!

WOMEN AND CHOCOLATE GO TOGETHER LIKE MEN AND FOOTBALL :y: , AND ONLY THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY SHOULD INTERFERE WITH THIS :bow: , KEEP GOING DONNA WELL DONE

-----------------------------------------
"TO PART IS TO DIE A LITTLE"----"THINK OF STEVE TODAY"
HILTS3188

Postby Gera » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:20 pm

Donna wrote:Lost 16 pounds, too, bought new pants that fit, one size down!

WOW :shock: that's a lot! CONGRATULATINS!!! When I am eating chocolate, which I do too often, I can't hold myself and always eat way too much of it. It would take ages for me to lose 16 pounds!
"It takes fifty years for the majority to be right. And then the majority is never right until it does right"
Gera
Chief Reporter

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:57 am

Donna wrote:I don't have ANY of my 3 VCRs hooked up anymore, not since my big TV blew a gasket last year. 2 of the machines need to go to the shop, one won't play a tape except in FFWD, one won't record or eject a tape, the PAL set may be still functional , but all I have hooked up on the borrowed TV is my DVD player and I'm not even using that, since I got a portable one that I can move around with me.

I'm not much different. I don't have my VCR hooked up + my digital set top box is broken so I can't watch TV (it is way to snowy/interferency on analogue). Haven't watched TV for about a year (at my place).

Donna wrote: Lost 16 pounds, too, bought new pants that fit, one size down!

Congratulations Donna. You must feel and look like a new woman! That is an incredible achievement 8)
Darren

Postby Donna » Mon May 26, 2008 10:13 pm

Well, I'm still working both jobs, though fewer hours at Michaels, but I am actually looking around for another main job. CT has a lot of pros--love what I do (stock shelves), love my section (automotive), really like my teammmates, like my boss even though she can be a pain sometimes, I'm fulltime with benefits, in Oct I qualify for profit-sharing program, and I work Monday to Friday...
BUT.
the cons are only two, but a big two--
1. the hours switched from 11-7 nightshift which suited me perfectly to a half-@ssed dayshift starting at 5am, which means I have get up at 3:30 am, dress, eat, pack lunch and drive 30 km at the worst time of the day for me to be just starting. I have a terrible time going to bed at 7:30 pm yet that's the only way I can get a full 8 hours sleep, hence I average 4.5 to 5 hours sleep each night all week and it's not doing me any good being 20 hours in sleep deficit by the weekend. Having a hard time controlling my blood sugar too, cuz I never get enough rest. Plus I had to drop an evening at Michaels and that's cost me some extra money.

2. the money sucks. I've been there 8 months, and I'm now getting the same pay as the newbies they just hired. Raises don't come til October, and if all I get is a quarter I'll be pretty pissed. Other stores pay more, many at least 90 cents more or higher, so... I'm looking.

The other job not much better. I was 25 cents over min, got a 24 cent raise on the year and now I only get 14 cents over min, so I feel like I lost 35 cents an hour. However, I hang on there for the great discounts on art supplies and, dammit, I love custom framing!

oh my. At least I'm consoling myself with my new digital camera. Dad gave me a bunch of money last fall and I invested in an Olympus SP550UZ, one step under a DSLR. 7.1 Megapixel, 18X optical zoom, Macro and SuperMacro (focuses about a centimeter from the flower--and I use that a lot!), ISO up to 6400, haven't had to use the flash yet, 2 gig memory card holds a thousand pics (the files I've been uploading are 2 MB each, and with Panasonic Metal Hydride batteries I can shoot well over 200 before recharging). Will do Panorama, movie mode, two clock settings for different time zones with alarm, silent running, oh I can't even begin to list all its features. I've been out in the Parks etc shooting nearly every day since the first week of May, probably 900 or more pics by now. glad it's not film! I shoot a lot of closeups of mosses, lichens, teeny flowers, bark, birds, rusty metal, ruined forts and falling-down barns, old cars, some great shots of my Dad, people portraits (I took the best photo of my friend Justin that will ever be taken of him if he lives another 80 years!) I hope to be able to sell some as cards, calendars etc, and get some portrait commissions once I build up a bit of a portfolio.

So there's my update. :)

Donna
Donna
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Tue May 27, 2008 7:55 am

Donna feel free to show us some of your photography 8)
Darren

Retail challenge

Postby sleevemcqueen » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:55 pm

Donna,

I have to say that I admire your hard work! Over here, a work week that you are turning out, is considered "crazy". You see, we have a very good social system in Holland, that means nobody has to starve, sleep in the gutter or has to work his butt off, like you're doing. You can go to the social security office in your region and you get paid for a lot of years. Now, I don't have any beef with people who are legitimately disabled or who are unemployed for some time, but a lot of people over here have never worked. Some are in welfare and/or social security more than 25 years! So, you can probably see why we have the largest percentage of newcomers in the whole world.
Now, my father has always taught me to work hard, real hard. He has been an independent entrepreneur for years now. As a matter of fact, today (1st of June) he started his own company 35 years ago. And like yourself, he has alway worked weeks of 60 hours and more. That's why I sincerely hope that you can build something up for you, not your boss, but yourself. That would be great! Let's face it, you've absolutely got the right attitude towards work. Your boss must be very happy with you! People like yourself are gold for employers over here.

Take care and good luck! :D

Pascal.
sleevemcqueen
Cooler King

Postby HILTS3188 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 am

I AGREE WITH YOU PASCAL ABOUT DONNA ....

THE ONLY THING I WOULD SAY IS THAT ON A DEATHBED NO-ONE HAS EVER SAID I WISH I WORKED HARDER....

FOR ME THERE ARE FAR MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN THIS WORLD THAN MONETARY GAIN...LOVE , NATURE, FAMILY...STEVE MCQUEEN :rofl:

PLEASE WATCH YOUR HEALTH DONNA :)

HILTS3188

Postby Donna » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:36 pm

well, I've made some changes. IF the sked had remained a proper night shift at CT I would have merrily gone on with a couple evenings at Michaels, an hour's break and then the main course at CT. But the change to a 5 am to 1pm shift meant as much as 4 1/2 hours between the two jobs, too far and too expensive to go home (gas is $1.43 a liter and rising), but damn hard to be awake for the evening. Several times I've gone to a friend's and crashed for a few hours, but still really tough. Last night I worked 5:30 to 10:30, got home at 11, wound down and got to bed at 12:30, got up at 3:30 after 3 hours sleep and went to work (chocolate really helped today!). It's now nearly five thirty (short day today) and I'm gonna hit the sheets soon, then be up again at 3:30 and a long day tomnorrow, then 2 short days, a morning shift on Sat and Sun off.

So--between the hours and the miserable pay (running out of gas and food money consistently 4 days before payday sucks, I can tell you) I've signed on to a new job and will be resigning from CT effective next week, and changing my availability at Michaels, prob to a morning or two.

I am now going to be a licensed security guard at MicMac Mall (our largest mall), on permanent night shift. I will go in at 8, the mall closes at 9. I do lockups, then read a book, watch a DVD, go online, talk to the maintenance crew and do some walkarounds, then morning unlock, leave at 8am, 4 nights on 3 off, then 3 on 4 off. for $2:00 an hour MORE than CT was paying me, plus A $500 SIGNING BONUS split up at the 3 and 6 month marks. I should clear an additional $300 to $400 a month plus no lifting and lugging, so my aching shoulder and wrist should improve. this morn I nearly broke my thumb, bent it backwards rather nastily, but it's ok now, a few ibuprofens plus the chocolate did wonders--see, I told ya chocolate cures all ills. cripes it could be the cure to cancer ya never know. Anyway I can still walk my heart out, but I get paid to read too. Lately books I should've finished in 2 days have taken 3 weeks cuz no damn time. I'm really looking forward to this. I loved what I do at CT, but the money just was bloody awful.

So here goes, gotta go write my resignation letter...
Donna
Cooler King

Postby Donna » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:11 am

I start new job Thurs night, training Thurs and Fri, then on the Tues rotation which means I'll never be officially scheduled for Sat, Sun or Mon, although I might be called for a short-notice extra shift. I am on sched to work Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri nights one week, Wed, Thurs, Fri nights the next then back to Tues etc.

My last day at CT is Wed, and I'm going to give notice to Michaels for Aug 2, when Candace is back from vacation. While she's away there will only be me and two partially trained framers on the job. oh well, not my prob that they lost 3 good framers in less than a month, and now I'm going. They would rather have umpteen people on their list and give them 4-8 hours a week than have fewer people working more hours and thus having the knowledge and experience to actually give their much-vaunted customer service--it makes absolutely no sense to me, but that's why they have such a high turnover--nobody except a select few gets any hours, so they move on to other better jobs where they can actually get enough money to pay their bills.
Donna
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:29 am

Donna wrote:I am now going to be a licensed security guard at MicMac Mall (our largest mall), on permanent night shift. I will go in at 8, the mall closes at 9. I do lockups, then read a book, watch a DVD, go online, talk to the maintenance crew and do some walkarounds, then morning unlock, leave at 8am, 4 nights on 3 off, then 3 on 4 off. for $2:00 an hour MORE than CT was paying me, plus A $500 SIGNING BONUS split up at the 3 and 6 month marks. I should clear an additional $300 to $400 a month plus no lifting and lugging, so my aching shoulder and wrist should improve.

Donna, sounds like my kind of job :mrgreen:
Darren

Postby HILTS3188 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:59 am

BRILLIANT DONNA...GREAT NEWS ABOUT YOUR JOB AND MAY I SAY YOUR PHOTOGRAHS OF NATURE ARE AMAZING ...I THINK THAT IS WHERE YOUR CALLING IS AND YOU SHOULD DO THIS PROFESSIONALLY :bow:

HILTS3188

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:38 am

Donna, how is your new SG job coming along?
Darren

Postby Donna » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:49 pm

I've worked 5 nights so far, last one is tonight until Wednesday--4 days off, yippee!--and I only work 3 nights next week. Instead of being on the road to town 5 and 6 days a week it'll be 3 and 4, plus it's 8 km closer to home one way so all in all big savings in gas. I go in at 7:45 pm, the mall closes at 9 and customers clear out, by 10 the other guards and I have completed lockdown and they go home, and I go sit in the booth and watch cameras, go for periodic walks around the mall or through the back halls (not allowed outdoors except to lock/unlock doors) and read books (200+ pgs last night), mags and newspapers, do Sudoku, needlepoint etc til about 4:45 when I commence unlock. There are anywhere up to a dozen people in overnight with me, cleaners and construction crew, or staff re-stocking their product, but I'm the only guard til 8 am, when I leave (as soon as I'm relieved). Mallwalkers, who do the rounds for exercise--it's our biggest mall and it's 3 floors--plus staff coming in early for work begin to arrive at 5 am. Sometimes I have to watch for special events, like a crane coming in to set up for some roof work, or this morning a new phone was going on sale and we were expecting a lineup--(two people came in at 5, and not another soul by the time I left. So much for that. :D ), so for both events we set up stanchions to control people and/or parking.

Of course there may be incidents to deal with in the last hour the stores are open, such as shoplifters--we are nonconfrontational, we just get the info and can assist the retailer in making an arrest; we can only arrest someone ourselves if we personally have seen them do it. Or last night there were parents looking for their daughters who were in for a job fair that ran overtime. I also have to go get a First Aid course sometime in the first 2 months at my expense. Uniforms were free--black cargo pants, white shirt with badges and black clip-on tie, and a coat. I have a radio, a cell phone, a notebook and a fistful of keys, and a lot of doors in back alleys to take care of and several sets of stairs to go up and down, and newspapers to deliver to half a dozen shops (which we do as a courtesy). We get free soft drinks (Diet Pepsi for me) from one store and free tea or coffee from another. Unlike the other guards who rotate day and night shifts I'm all nights (they were thrilled to get someone who wanted that).

Tomorrow I go from this job to a 5-hour shift at Michaels. I am giving my notice there tomorrow. I had been iffy on that, but now they're instituting a dress code and I am not spending money on clothes I don't have in order to comply so that was the deciding point. I have maybe 2 more half shift Saturdays to work there and I'm done.

So yeah, I'm lovin' it. :)
Donna
Cooler King

Postby Donna » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:52 pm

HILTS3188 wrote:BRILLIANT DONNA...GREAT NEWS ABOUT YOUR JOB AND MAY I SAY YOUR PHOTOGRAHS OF NATURE ARE AMAZING ...I THINK THAT IS WHERE YOUR CALLING IS AND YOU SHOULD DO THIS PROFESSIONALLY :bow:

thanks, Tony <blush>
Donna
Cooler King

Previous

Return to Blogs-Journals