Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

The Next Phase - or my general Health & Fitness log

This section of the forum is for members to keep blogs-journals on
any general topics of interest to them. eg. art, movies, sport, fitness etc.

Re: The Next Phase - or my general Health & Fitness log

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:45 am

linda wrote:Really liked the comparison pictures, nice chest, your efforts are certainly paying off.

Thanks Linda! The cheque's in the mail!!! :mrgreen:

Week # 10

Well this week was a little different....

12 rounds on the bag Monday, 12 Tuesday, Wednesday night I am feeling very tired (haven't eaten anything substantial all day) but decide I want to go to a "Body Pump" class at the YMCA. This is light weights and lots of repetitions in a sort of weight/cardio workout. Well I am really getting puffed and in the lunges and squats parts I was afraid I would "give out". I was feeling slightly light headed and was even afraid I would fall over during the lunges. Luckily I didn't! But when I get home I am like the walking dead and chose not to do the boxing bag workout, soooo..... Thursday night I did 2 12 round bag sessions (with approx 90 minutes break between each). Finished off the week with another 12 round session on Friday. So I still did my 5 12 round sessions albiet in an unusual fashion.

Guess what, no weights except for the "Body Pump" class :mrgreen:. Next week right :lol:

Oh yeah, and I only walked 4 days (but it was a very cold wet week).
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:47 pm

Week #11

This week was very similar to last week.

5 days on the boxing bag (12 rounds a session). No weights :cry:. I only walked 3 or 4 days (again we are having terrible weather). One "body balance" session.

Have been feeling really tired after work all week. 2 reasons: stress from new job and also not eating enough healthy food. Expect both of those factors to improve in the upcoming week :)
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:21 am

Week # 12

It's been an interesting 6 week cycle and I'm not thrilled with every aspect of it...

With the new job I have been getting a bit time and sleep deprived, plus I haven't been eating well (my idea of a good meal lately is a half can of corned beef mixed with baked beans and nuked in the microwave just before bed :(). By the time I do a bag workout, maybe go to the YMCA, do basic everyday tasks, do website tasks, maybe watch a video to wind down etc etc I am ready to go to bed. And I haven't fitted in the weights workouts or cooked a proper meal. Added to this I am still carrying the effects of the bad virus from 4 weeks ago (still have some sort of congestion in the chest - which I understand is normal for this virus). So there's the negatives. Some of it is my fault - bad organisational skills, emotional stresses etc resulting in both physical (poor food and rest) and emotional fatigue.

The good stuff (what I actually did for the past week): 5 12 round sessions on the bag. 3 walks (limited by extreme winter weather - I am not being a die hard about walking atm, so whearas when I was on the 60km per week plan I would walk come hell or high water, atm I only walk if weather is OK). No weights or YMCA.

I am going to have a week break and then come back with a modified plan based partly on the above issues.

Will do one week on weights (medium weight high reps x5 days a week) and one week on bag (12 rounds x5 days), alternating these week by week. This is just an experiment, and will assess at end of 6 weeks. I am doing this because I want to fit some weights in, and realise that I am failing to do so under the system I have been following the last few months (of course this might not be the case if I had better organisational skills and was more emotionally "tuned up").
Darren

Postby linda » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:41 am

Just checking on you...how's it going? Feeling better? Getting any rest? Eating better?
How's the emotional fatigue, new job etc?
There's no way I could keep your regimen and still have time to smile.
My hat's off to you :bow:
linda
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:01 am

linda wrote:Just checking on you...how's it going? Feeling better? Getting any rest? Eating better?
How's the emotional fatigue, new job etc?
There's no way I could keep your regimen and still have time to smile.
My hat's off to you :bow:

Thanks for dropping by for a visit Linda :D Beginning to feel more settled in the new job. Feeling much better. Getting OK rest. Not eating any better - heck who am I kidding, with my diet of Ice Cream and Donuts I am never going to shred that layer of fat :crying:

Week # 13 Just got into the "feeling" of doing weights more regularly. Did some high rep "bench pressing" with medium weight, a fair bit of "over head dumbell" pressing with medium weight, and a little bit of "barbell rowing" with light to medium weight. Took it all fairly casually, and walked most days.

Week # 14 5 days of boxing bag work, 12 3 min rounds a day with 30 sec breaks between rounds. Walked most days.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:04 pm

Week #15 Still taking it easy getting the feeling of doing the weights again regularly. Did some high repetition medium weight "Pullovers", Bench Presses and "barbell rows". Also did some light weight high rep "overhead pressing" and barbell curls. Walked most days.

Week #16 Felt strong on the bag this week. Regular routine all 5 days. Walked most days.
Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:19 am

Did 2 weeks on weights for a change of pace. It helped me get into the "weights" groove a bit easier.

Week #17 Lots of high rep medium weight work on all body parts (except no legs and not much for arms). Started to go a bit heavier on back work (barbell rows) and dumbell "pullovers".

Week #18 A slightly heavier week - got my Bench Press up to a respectable modestly heavy weight with high reps (25), also did modestly heavy barbell rows for medium reps (12). Lots of light "overhead" barbell presses.

Taking a week off this week.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:15 am

Been a month since my last update but I have not been slacking (well not TOO much :mrgreen:).

I took 1 week off as previously stated, and did another 3 weeks (weeks#19, 20 & 21) just on weights and a little walking. Have been working up to what I consider modest strength levels in exercises like "bench press" - flat and incline, "barbell rows" and "overhead presses." Have let the boxing bag drop from the scedule a little longer than I planned, but will begin to reintroduce it again very soon.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:01 am

Well it's been 5 weeks since my previous update.

Haven't been slacking off :mrgreen:

Did Weeks 22,23,24,25 &26.

Well I have to say i have dropped all semblance of a structured programme, but nonetheless each week has "something" happening. Haven't kept a record of what I did, but...

If I recall correctly I had a BAD virus around week 22 and felt like the walking dead that week, so did next to nothing.
The other 4 weeks I did a little bit of walking, lots of weights and a tiny amount on the boxing bag.

Results... Well I have been eating like a pig and put on heaps of weight on my midsection. I have lost some of my "athleticism" that I get from the bag work. By "athleticism" I mean flexibility, fluidity of movement, fast reflexes etc. I have however 'muscled up" a bit, and I am happy about that.

We are now coming into our Spring weather, and I plan to start walking an hour a day again around our beautiful lake :D
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:33 am

Time for an update!!

Well I have been carrying a Flu for a full year now. It is on and off but I am almost always feeling fatigued from it. I haven't worked out much because when I do I get sick easily (feel the nastier symptoms returning). Good news is my doctor ran several tests and there is no medical problems - just a flu. He says it is due to the office I work in.

Oh and I have put on a boatload of weight - including lots of fat!
Darren

Postby Donna » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 pm

If it's environmental, caused by something in the office, is anyone else sick? is it chronic fatigue? Do you have breathing problems? can you find another job? I know, easier said than done, and I don't know the employment situation there.

I was deathly ill in 2002 for three months with some kind of virus (no other explanation, and trust me I had every test going)--it started on Feb 12, I dropped 50 lbs in 3 months from nonstop vomiting and diarrhea, blood pressure was low, I was dehydrated so badly I was weak as a kitten and had my first and only ambulance ride. It was a good 6 months or more before it cleared up and I was back to work full time and then they had a big layoff, I got a juicy severance check and took another 6 months off work altogether to make a full recovery. Unfortunately I regained most of the weight. :( To cap it off within two months of leaving the job I was diagnosed with a low-grade B cell lymphoma, which they watched for 3 years before it reached the point where I had to have chemo.

and then I turned out to be a freak of nature--I thrived on chemo, I would come home from a day in the chair, go up a ladder and paint the house. Gods I love prednazone, too bad long term use is so nasty. Normally I'm a garden slug, but on that stuff I was a cheetah. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: then I found out I was Type 2 diabetic. No winning. But ya know, I feel pretty damn good, all things considered.

Darren I hope you can get this cleared up and start feeling pretty damn good too!
Donna
Cooler King

Postby mayfiebl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Good stuff, Between drinking beers and crashing my bikes my time is short but dam it today we are getting a treadmill....I have not raced this year yet, last year broke some ribs so I think at 52 now I need to just play ride when I can, Still ride the hell out of my Harley and RC51...so that should help a bit, So Darren good start on the treadmill is? I can walk pretty far at a good pace but never been a runner So going to have to taper the Beer a bit and start the treadmill routine...any pointers? :help:
Love Motorcycles and Cars work in the Aircraft Industry.
mayfiebl
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Donna, my doctor say it is a "sick office", and that is apparently an actual medical term used by doctors for some offices that create health problems. It is, if I remember his words correctly, mainly caused by substandard air conditioning. Now even though the air con may meet minimum standards (which ours apparantly does), it can still be below what is actually required for that particular office. We have had big ongoing problems for lots of the staff, including the youngest (one would think healthiest) people. Now it is summer here and that has reduced the severity of the problem. Apparently the tests required to officially confirm that there is a problem with the office cost a LOT.

I am applying to go permanent part time (4 days a week) in April, and I am HOPING that, if approved, that makes a difference for me.

Overall we have a good office environment and it would be a shame to leave.

Donna wrote:If it's environmental, caused by something in the office, is anyone else sick? is it chronic fatigue? Do you have breathing problems? can you find another job? I know, easier said than done, and I don't know the employment situation there.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Brian, how did you break your ribs? Come off in a race?

I have never been a runner either, but my advice, simple but I think good, is to start at a really EASY challenge level, and as you comfortably meet that level, push the challenge level up (either in running speed, running duration or frequency) SLOWLY in small incremental steps. Even the first week or so will probably remain very easy with little or no real challenge.

At first it feels like you are going too easy, and taking to long to get to the level you want, but if you try to get there too fast you will very often fail as you are pushing your body too hard. But if you take the SLOW approach, you are almost certain to get there, as your body will adapt successfully to the small incremental steps. This has worked for me in the past.

Again, it may feel like you are going to slow, but if you stick to it you will get to the higher fitness level pretty quickly nonetheless. So set a good goal, maybe an intermediate achievement, and maybe give yourself a couple of months to achieve it.

As for cutting out bad food and drink, better to seek out advice from someone who has been successful at that, as I have not :lol: Tapering it down (as you said) is about the best idea I could suggest. I do know that as fitness increases your body will hunger for higher quality foods, this reducing the cravings for junk.

mayfiebl wrote:Good stuff, Between drinking beers and crashing my bikes my time is short but dam it today we are getting a treadmill....I have not raced this year yet, last year broke some ribs so I think at 52 now I need to just play ride when I can, Still ride the hell out of my Harley and RC51...so that should help a bit, So Darren good start on the treadmill is? I can walk pretty far at a good pace but never been a runner So going to have to taper the Beer a bit and start the treadmill routine...any pointers? :help:
Darren

Postby mayfiebl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 am

Thanks yep crashed a vintage took 3 months to self heal.....not 17 anymore....ouch, Treadmill is cool and has cup holder for Beer! :banana:
Love Motorcycles and Cars work in the Aircraft Industry.
mayfiebl
Cooler King

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs-Journals