Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

The Next Phase - or my general Health & Fitness log

This section of the forum is for members to keep blogs-journals on
any general topics of interest to them. eg. art, movies, sport, fitness etc.

The Next Phase - or my general Health & Fitness log

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:29 am

OK so I waited till the end of week #1 to post info/results on my "next phase" fitness strategies, because I wanted to make sure I "actually did it" before I started talking about it :lol:

I took a week of walking (having just finished my last 6 week walking phase) and focused primarily on the boxing bag routine.

Monday thru Saturday (every day for 6 days) I did 9 rounds on the bag. That's 9 3min rounds with 30 sec breaks between rounds, totaling a 31 min workout. I also did a few light weight workouts for shoulders, back and chest. This will be my general routine PLUS light walking (45min - 1hr a day).

I can say that at the end of week #1 of my new training phase I have definitely leaned up and even added some muscle.

SO I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE IMMEDIATE HEALTH BENEFITS I AM SEEING :D

Will probably update this blog once a week from now on, with a "past week" review.
Darren

Re: The Next Phase - or my general Health & Fitness log

Postby Darren » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:39 am

Completed week #2

Very satisfied, seeing and feeling the benefits, although I am a little stiff some days (from using unused muscles I guess).

Unfortunately I didn't do much walking this week, in fact just 1 walk I think (but I will do a 6km walk today with a friend so that will be 2 walks total for the week). Did light weights high reps for shoulders (nothing else).

So I dropped the ball a bit with walking and weights but I plan to UP the effort for those activities next week.
Darren

Postby Donna » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:55 pm

good for you, Darren! me, I'm walking 5 miles a night at the store, going at a pretty good clip, too, pushing big carts loaded with freight and man--er--woman-handling some pretty heavy stuff. There are times when I feel a light sweat break out. My arms are pretty developed, and if I'm carrying 2 four-liter jugs of antifreeze I do half dozen triceps curls before I sling them on the shelf :D I'm down about 20 lbs since New Years', and oh yeah, I'm doing a belly-dancing class too. But I do find getting up at 3:30 am a killer! and I have two nights a week when I barely get 4 hours sleep. grrrr.
Donna
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:04 am

3rd week in....

Did my full 6 days on the bag. Walked half the days (gotta pick that up). Did some back exercises with the weights (Barbell Rows) and that was it with weights (gotta pick that up too!)

But in spite of my failings this week I continue to feel the benefits of the bag work.

I expect to turbo charge next week with a better weights/walking schedule.

Donna wrote:I'm walking 5 miles a night at the store, going at a pretty good clip, too, pushing big carts loaded with freight and man--er--woman-handling some pretty heavy stuff. There are times when I feel a light sweat break out. My arms are pretty developed, and if I'm carrying 2 four-liter jugs of antifreeze I do half dozen triceps curls before I sling them on the shelf :D I'm down about 20 lbs since New Years', and oh yeah, I'm doing a belly-dancing class too. But I do find getting up at 3:30 am a killer! and I have two nights a week when I barely get 4 hours sleep. grrrr.

You are a superwoman Donna!
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Completed week #4

Did my full 6 days on the bag.

Unfortunately I have dropped the ball with walking and only walked twice for the whole week. It's a bit unusual because I don't usually consider walking a challenge, in fact I enjoy it. Perhaps it's a reaction to the 60km+ per week schedule I was doing - sort of an unconcious "forced holiday". But I must lift myself out of it now and get back to a regular healthy and normal walking lifestyle.

I did increase my weights workouts though, with approx 5 sessions, covering most body parts. Medium weight/High reps.

I also went to a "body balance" class at the YMCA. It's my favourite Y class. I try to go twice a week. It's mainly a lot of stretching and balancing. Here's how they describe it: BODYBALANCE‚ĄĘ is the Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates workout that builds flexibility and strength and leaves you feeling centered and calm. Controlled breathing, concentration and a carefully structured series of stretches, moves and poses to music create a holistic workout that brings the body into a state of harmony and balance.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun May 04, 2008 5:29 am

Week # 5

Well I am regular with my bag work if nothing else...

Did my full 6 days on bag, 4 very short sessions on weights and again only walked twice this week. Oh yeah and I did 1 session of body balance.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat May 10, 2008 7:55 am

I had a great week, 6 days on bag, walked 6 days and did approx 4 short sessions on weights + 1 body balance class.

So that is 6 weeks in. Considering that I finally got my walking on track, perhaps the timing isn't briliant, but I'm taking a 1 week break.
Darren

Postby linda » Sat May 17, 2008 1:08 am

It sounds like you earned it Darren :y:
linda
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Sun May 25, 2008 2:24 am

linda wrote:It sounds like you earned it Darren :y:

Thanks Linda. I'm really enjoying doing this daily bag workout, but yes I think a regular "break" and change of pace is healthy.

Well I got back into it for week # 7 but it was a bit of a mess unfortunatley. I had just started my new job Monday (no problem), and that Monday night I did the bag, a walk and the Body Balance class, but during the Body Balance class I noticed I was puffing a bit and felt stiff. Sure enough Tuesday morning I had symptoms of a cold/flu. A friend with the flu had visited me approx 2 days earlier, so there you go :cry: Anyway I figured I'd try and soldier through it, so I did a small walk Tuesday and a good bag workout Tuesday night. Then a good bag workout Wednesday night. Think I threw in some weights work somewhere too. But come Thursday I was a total mess. Badly congested chest, heavily clogged sinuses, head was like I had a bad hangover.... So I was forced to stop as it would only make it worse. So I only did 3 days out of the planned 6 for week #7.

As I write this I am still coughing up flem so I may only get in a 3 day week next week as well (hopefully second half)....
Darren

Postby Darren » Mon May 26, 2008 1:30 pm

Here's a photo comparison update. I don't see much difference, but I think my stomach is a bit flatter.

Left - approx March 13th '08 ------------------------------------------Right - May 26th '08
ImageImage
Darren

Postby HILTS3188 » Mon May 26, 2008 5:42 pm

YES THERE IS DEFINETLY A DIFFERENCE THERE DARREN, WELL DONE AND ALONG WITH YOUR WEIGHT YOU SEEM TO HAVE LOST YOUR KECKS AS WELL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-----------------------------------------
"TO PART IS TO DIE A LITTLE"----"THINK OF STEVE TODAY"
HILTS3188

Postby Darren » Tue May 27, 2008 7:51 am

HILTS3188 wrote:YES THERE IS DEFINETLY A DIFFERENCE THERE DARREN, WELL DONE AND ALONG WITH YOUR WEIGHT YOU SEEM TO HAVE LOST YOUR KECKS AS WELL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm glad you could see a difference Tony. I hope my next update pic shows a more dramatic improvement.

Yes I have lost my trousers in that pic, but I am wearing boxer shorts :lol:
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat May 31, 2008 1:26 pm

Week #8

As I suspected I wasn't able to exercise until mid-week. I still have a bit of a cold but it is now manageable...

Did bag workouts Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Took 3 walks and did some light barbell exercises.

NOW I WANT TO SUPE IT UP A BIT....

I am dropping bag workouts down to 5 days a week (instead of 6), but I am upping them from 9 rounds to 12. So that equals out to an extra 6 rounds per week and a longer workout. Each bag workout will jump from 31 minutes to 41min 30sec.
Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:06 am

This report is coming in a bit late because I haven't had a computer for the past week and a half (power pack died and I couldn't even turn it on). The repair man just visited and fixed everything tonight, so I am back :D

Week #9

Did 5 days of 12 round sessions as I said last post. Also walked most days and did a few "light" weights sessions. Was my first full week in a while and it seemed to go fairly smoothly. I'd like to start upping the intensity of my weights work a little bit more (have I said that before? :lol:) - anyway, will see what happens :)
Darren

Postby linda » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:58 am

Glad you're feeling better Darren.
Really liked the comparison pictures, nice chest, your efforts are certainly paying off.
Congratulations on the new job too!
linda
Cooler King

Next

Return to Blogs-Journals